Nokia just dropped the Nokia 8 & we have mixed feelings about it. So, things are exactly as the previous leak suggested. The specifications do include the Snapdragon 835, a 2K Display & Dual Rear Cameras but, there’s definitely much more to it.
First let’s go over some of the important specifications of the device,
- 5.3 inch 2560 x 1440 IPS Display with 700 nits of Brightness & Corning Gorilla Glass 5 Protection
- 2.3 GHz Octa-core Snapdragon 835 SOC with Adreno 540 GPU
- 4 Gigabytes Of RAM with 64 Gigabytes of Internal Storage
- Front Mounted Fingerprint Scanner
- Dual 13MP Rear Cameras (Regular + Monochrome) with f-2.0 Aperture
- 13MP Front Facing Camera with f-2.0 Aperture & Autofocus Support
- A 3090 mAh Battery with Qualcomm Quickcharge 3.0 support.
- USB Type C (1st Gen USB 3.1)
- Android 7.1.1 Nougat (To be upgraded to Android 8.0 soon)
- 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 & NFC support
So, from pure specification perspective, these look really nice. I mean top of the line CPU & GPU with enough RAM & Internal Storage, a QHD Screen with awesome Brightness, in-trend Dual Rear Camera system, USB Type C, Bluetooth 5.0 & all of this packed into an Aluminium Chassy should be a lot to get for 599 Euros (705 USD or 45K INR) right ?
Well, we won’t say it’s a bad package but, being a Flagship, it does stay behind in some really important departments,
- First is the Aperture of the Camera. f-2.0 is quite small compared to the f-1.7 one on the S8 & even from the f-1.8 one on iPhone 7+. This may translate to comparatively bad low-light images.
- Second is the Battery capacity. I mean why Nokia coupled a 3090 mAh Battery with a QHD 700 nits screen ? Using the screen on full brightness will drain the Battery real quick.
- Third is protection. So, the Nokia 8 is a IP54 rated Splash Resistant device. This can be a real deal breaker when the competitors are offering IP67 & IP68 rated Dust & Water resistant devices.
So, overall the Nokia 8 is a great package with some good features packed inside. But, it definitely could have been way better for the price it is being offered at. We really don’t know if it can stand up on that price tag of 599 Euros but, let’s see how it goes. Anyway, don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section right below this article.